Autobiography of a Teacher Leader
I never wanted to be a teacher. Until I almost flunked out
of my first semester of nursing school, I wanted to be in the medical field. I
could not memorize the parts or functions of the inner workings of the human
body but I knew I wanted to get a degree in something. Finishing college was
important to me. After I decided that nursing school was not my path, my
amazing mother drove eight hours in a horrific storm to help me pack up my dorm
so I could come back home, feeling like a complete failure. She handed me a catalog
for the University of Central Florida and said, "Circle all of the classes
that sound interesting to you." So, I did. From there, she helped me
narrow down possible majors based on my interests. Two years later, I graduated
with a degree in English Literature.
I still did not want to be a teacher, however. I worked in
an office part-time and decided to become a substitute teacher to supplement my
income. I worked both jobs for two years, during which time I got married and
had my first child. In August, a few days before the beginning of a new school
year, a friend shared that he knew a middle school principal looking for an
English teacher and asked if I would be interested in interviewing. I agreed
and was offered the job immediately. I knew I was offered the job because they
needed to fill a position, not because I was qualified, but I was excited to
teach. I was able to start in time for the first day of school but quickly
realized, I was completely unprepared and offered almost not guidance or
support from the administration and staff. I also got pregnant with my second
child during that school year, which added exhaustion and illness. My husband
and I decided that I should stay home the following year because I hated
teaching and, even with two decent incomes, sending two small children to
daycare was a financial nightmare. I vowed never to step foot back in the
classroom and I stayed away for seven years.
In 2014, my husband and I decided we wanted to purchase a
home but he said we could not do that on one income. Our third, and last, child
was almost 3 years old so I knew I could return to work easily. Once again, I
decided that substitute teaching was the easiest job to do with two children in
school. In February of 2015, a teacher at a local high school left unexpectedly
and, after 2 weeks as the substitute teacher for that classroom, the principal
offered me the full-time position with that class. I accepted and greatly
enjoyed my time as a high school English teacher.
In 2018, my middle son, who was in 2nd grade, started
experiencing debilitating anxiety at school. I was called by his school at
least once a week because he was claiming an illness or was crying
uncontrollably in the nurse's office. He was not doing well at all and was
later diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. In October of 2018, a position at his
school became available and I took the plunge from 12th grade to 2nd grade.
What was originally a move to support my own child, pushed me to a place
professionally I never expected to enjoy or in which to became successful. I
now have experience teaching in elementary, middle, and high school, a feat not
many teachers can claim!
Through my job and my daily life, I have become a lifelong
learner. I never want to stop growing my mind, heart, or soul to always be at
my best. I know the human brain is malleable. No matter what, people can change
their ideals, behaviors, and intelligence with hard work. My life is not set in
stone and I do not know where I will be in 5 years, 10 years, or 25 years but I
do know I will always share what I know, be a cheerleader to all I meet, and
celebrate success, big and small. I am a teacher.
Comments
Post a Comment